Apply for Service

Welcome to the Ben Davis Conservancy District. Fill out a form to start service at your home or change your address. Our friendly staff will respond within one business day.

Start Service

Are you moving to our community?  Welcome to the neighborhood. Fill out this form to start your service.

Apply for Service

Change Address

Moving to a new home in the district? Fill out this form to change your address.

Change Address

Report a Sewer Backup

How do I report a sewer backup or overflow?

Sewage is toxic and can be harmful to humans and animals. A sewer backup should immediately be reported to the Ben Davis Conservancy District at (317) 241-2941. The Conservancy will make every effort to dispatch a technician within 12 to 24 hours. The technician will determine whether the cause is in the main sewer in the street or in the lateral line that connects to your home or business. If it is determined to be in the lateral, then the property owner is responsible for repairs.

How do I clean up a backup or overflow?

Raw sewage can be hazardous to your health. If you experience a backup on your property, report the emergency to the Ben Davis Conservancy District at (317) 241-2941. After the emergency is resolved, any sewage on the property should be remediated (indoors or outdoors) as soon as possible. A homeowner may perform remediation to their private property. However, the Conservancy recommends consulting a restoration professional. Consider the EPA guidelines for remediation in addition to the following:

  • Has the home been exposed to sewage for 24 hours or more?
  • Is the sewage in ductwork or mechanical units?
  • Do children occupy the space?
  • Is there mold present?
  • Is the required remediation too extensive for you to perform?

Who is responsible for damage caused by a backup?

Damage to your home caused by a sewer backup can be prevented by installing a backflow prevention valve. The Ben Davis Conservancy District understands that a plumbing emergency can be costly. However, the Conservancy is not responsible for repairs or damage caused to private property or dwellings. Your home insurance policy may cover the expense of remediation for a sewer backup. Contact your provider to review your policy or discuss sewer backup coverage options. 

How do I prevent a future sewer backup or overflow?

The Ben Davis Conservancy District performs routine maintenance on its sanitary sewer system. However, a broken or blocked sewer line on your private property can cause a sewage backup. Prevent a backup by performing routine maintenance to your plumbing and installing a backflow prevention valve in your home.

Get a Permit

Do you need a permit? Use this form to apply. Do you have a question about a permit? Read the frequently asked questions below or get in touch with our friendly staff.

Apply For a Permit

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a permit?

Permits are required to connect to our sewer – this includes repairs or replacement connections.

How much does a permit cost?

A permit is $150 for residential connections and $250 for non-residential connections.

How long does it take to get a permit?

A permit for a simple connection can be issued in one business day. However, a complex project may require additional documentation and an extended review period.

Do I need a contractor?

A qualified contractor is required for your project. Additionally, the District Superintendent must inspect the connection before it is covered.